The Williams Home was founded in 1941 by Mr. James Luther Williams. He had been the Secretary of the Lynchburg Coca-Cola Bottling Works and then the President of the Depositors Industrial Loan Bank. In his Will he provided for the construction and maintaining of a non-profit home for women 55 years of age and older. The land was purchased in 1944 but because of WWII the building was not completed until 1950 when the doors opened in March. At that time the capacity was just 11 residents.